Good news for all, WordPress 2.6 is out of the forge, well baked and with a lot of new ingredients. They say at WordPress.org Dev Blog:
Version 2.6 “Tyner,” named for jazz pianist McCoy Tyner, contains a number of new features that make WordPress a more powerful CMS: (the way I like it ) you can now track changes to every post and page and easily post from wherever you are on the web, plus there are dozens of incremental improvements to the features introduced in version 2.5.
Let us get immediately to new feature.
1. Post Revisions: WordPress 2.6 now saves your previous posts that you revise, i.e. at any time in the future you can restore, if you want, a previous copy of the post or page. You can even compare between the.
2. Press This: Press this is great now. Very flexible and neat.
3. Image Caption: Image caption is great. That is what I have missed from not using NextGen Gallery. Now that WordPress 2.6 has that I am very happy with that.
4. Theme Preview: Theme Prwview is nicer, you can now have real previews of themes not having first to activate them.
5. Gears: When I heard that Automattic implemented Gears in WordPress.com blogs, I was hoping that would do that even in self-hosted blogs and they did. Blogs now can run a lot faster. Thanks!
6. WordCount: WordPress now counts the number of words you write in the editor. That is great!
7. Media Drag & Drop: Now you can change the positions of the files in the media by just drag & drop.
8. Plugin Activation: Now you can active all plugins and exclude the ones you do not like to.
9. Gravatars: Now you can choose between a lot of default avatars for your commenters that do not use gravatar service.
For more and more details read here at WordPress.org Dev Blog.
Do not forget to download WordPress 2.6 here.